Wednesday 30 July 2014

Book Review: Panic by Lauren Oliver

Panic by Lauren Oliver
Published: Harper Collins, March 4th, 2014
Pages: 408
Source: Library, hardcover
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: 4/5 (89%)

How I felt: This book was really enjoyable, my favourite Oliver book so far. It had a really interesting concept that I was eager to see how it played out. The plot kept a nice pace throughout the whole book and I was quite satisfied with how it ended! While reading, I had to put the book down a few times because it was lagging a little. Lauren Oliver's beautiful writing style showed itself again in this book and it was really enjoyable. This book is told in duel P.O.V from both Heather and Dodge's perspective. I didn't like reading from Dodge's perspective too much because I felt like he was a very spiteful and hateful character, and at times this really started to annoy me. On the other hand, I really enjoyed reading from Heather's perspective because she had such a unique outlook brought on by her standard of life.

***Mild spoilers beyond this point***

From the beginning of the story I didn't like Nat at all, and her whole obsession with everything having to be even was really weird and just strengthened my dislike for her. But Bishop, I immediately like Bishop from the beginning, but I didn't trust him with Heather until he broke up with Avery. I think my favourite character overall would have to be Anne, she was just always so kind to Heather from the beginning, I felt so bad for her when she learned of what happened with the tigers, but I felt like she dealt with it in the best possible way. Heather and Lily's mother Krista annoyed me so much, I just hated her for what she did to her daughters. When she kicked Lily outside in the rain so she could party with her friends in their trailer I was screaming at her through the pages. I was so happy when Heather pounced on her and knocked her to the ground because that was the last straw. The whole concept of Panic is so messed up and makes me wonder what goes through these peoples heads. When Heather won she got out of the flaming car and put her hand on the tiger, and at this point I was in a state of awe because I was so proud of how far Heather had come. The ending of this book was perfect and I don't think it could've been done any better.

Favourite Quotes:
  • “She knew, now, that there was always light—beyond the dark, and the fear, out of the depths; there was sun to reach for, and air and space and freedom.There was always a way up, and out, and no need to be afraid.”    
  • “I'm scared all the time," she whispered. "You'd be an idiot if you weren't," Anne said. "And you wouldn't be brave either.”
  • “It was so strange, the way that life moved forward: the twists and the dead ends, the sudden opportunities. The promise was always in the possibility.”
*Quotes taken from Panic by Lauren Oliver and Goodreads.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts