Friday 17 October 2014

The Program by Suzanne Young

The Program by Suzanne Young (The Program #1)
Published: Simon Pulse, April 30th, 2013
Pages: 405
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Dystopian
Rating: 4/5 (89%)

How I Felt: This books revolves around the topic of depression, and I found this intriguing because I haven't read any novel about this topic before. Overall I thought this story was amazing! It was excellently written, I love the way Suzanne writes. The words just flew by and I did enjoy my reading experience with this book. The pace of the novel was excellent, and there wasn't a portion of the book that lagged. I was expecting it to be bad or constantly in a gloomy mood because it's all about depression and suicide but it was actually entertaining! (As weird as that sounds.) There were parts that would be really funny and I'd laugh out loud and those pages would balance out the extreme sadness coming from the previous pages. The topic never felt too overwhelming and I enjoyed that aspect of it. Although, there were a few things that bothered me, but I'm not sure if they bothered anyone else. For example, the adults of the world are frustrated with the youth/teens because they think suicide is the solution to there problems. So knowing this they create a product called "QuikDeath" to assist them in there suicide attempts. I found this annoying because the product kept being mentioned and the adults didn't seem to notice this as a problem. The whole concept of the actual Program was a good idea, but it was taken way to far. These kids do need counseling to try and deal with their problems, but to erase their memories is just opening up opportunity for them to try and make those same mistakes again because they never had any time to learn from them. Immediately from the beginning of the book I was skeptical of James, there's something about him I just don't completely trust. Even now, after he reunited with Sloane. I also hated Sloane's mom when we first met her because she thinks she's doing something good to benefit her daughter, but she's not looking at how Sloane's acting, she's looking at a list of stereotypes; no child is similar and it really comes down to how well she actually knows Sloane and she proved in the book that she doesn't. The moments Sloane had with her father were really sweet because he was only trying to help her but her mother kept insisting on the Program so he went a long with her.
Overall I really enjoyed this books and I hope to continue on with the sequel soon!

Favourite Quotes:
  • “...some things are better left in the past. And true things are destined to repeat themselves.”
***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and The Program by Suzanne Young***
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts