Monday 28 September 2015

Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott

Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott
Published: Scholastic Press, February 25th, 2014
Pages: 305
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: 5/5

How I Felt: This book was so good! I love Victoria Scott's writing, it's so fast paced and fun and funny! I flew through this book, it's a great one-sitting read! Definitely the best book I've read in a while!

I knew I'd like this book as soon as I heard the premise which is why I kept putting off reading it. I knew I wouldn't be able to put it down and that's exactly what happened. I was trying to do chores and read this at the same time; I brought it everywhere with me! This book is pitched as Pokemon meets The Hunger Games and that is 100% accurate! The concepts worked really well together and the addition of the animal companions (Pandoras) made the book so much more enjoyable and interesting.

I'm a little confused as to what genre this would be categorized in because to me it has a little bit of everything, this is literally the only problem I have with this book so that says a lot.

I honestly could talk for hours about how much I love Tella's character, she's one of the most (if not the most) relatable character I've ever read about. She accepts the fact that she's not athletic, and she's not as strong as everyone else, but she tries her hardest and she grows. I feel like in most YA books all protagonists have this hidden strength and fortitude they never knew about but just happens to show up in perilous situations. Tella is the first one to say she doesn't possess these qualities and I respect that. While she's running through the challenges she complains and says she'd much rather be getting a massage  among other modern luxuries and I thought this was a perfect representation of what any normal person would do in these circumstances. Another thing I love about Tella is that she's kind to everyone. All the Pandoras, and the people who tried to kill her. She kept her humanity despite what was going on around her.

Relationships. There were a lot. I loved Tella's relationship with her brother, Cody. It made me tear up to hear how much she loves him and what she's willing to do for him. I also loved Tella's relationship with Guy and how it progressed. Seeing them together also made me cry! Too many feels! I loved how the group of Contendors Tella met bonded and were really there for each other. I can't wait to learn more about all of them. And I can't forget precious Madox! The coolest Pandora around!

I can't wait to learn more about Tella's mom and discover more about her family and backstory, and about the situation with Guy. I hope we see more of Harper!


I really do love Scott's writing, and I have to admit, this book made me laugh out loud more than once!

I honestly have no complaints at all with this book. I'm actually still in awe. Victoria Scott is one of my new favourite authors now. I need Salt & Stone immediately!!

If it's not already clear I highly recommend you go read this book. Right now. Go forth and read! You won't regret it.


Favourite Quotes:
  • “If my hair gets any frizzier, I'll shave it to the scalp. Or light it on fire. Whichever is easier.”
  • “But there’s often more truth found when we sleep than when we wake. Dad used to always say that.”  
Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

***Quotes taken from Goodreads.com and Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott***
*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*

*Images taken from Google.ca
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts