Wednesday 4 May 2016

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Published: HarperTeen, February 9th, 2016
Pages: 444
Source: Hardcover, purchased
Genre: Fantasy/Dystopian
Rating: 4/5

How I Felt: This book is a roller-coaster, to say the least. My thoughts are a little scrambled after reading this so I'll try to be coherent.

I definitely liked this book better than Red Queen, I thought it was a strong sequel. But I still had my issues with it.

I still don't like the writing too much, although I did feel it improved in this installment. I find so many repetitive phrases that just get on my nerves every so often.

I liked the addition of the new characters in this, and I loved all the action sequences. I felt like they were well written and I could picture them all clearly. I also loved how we got to travel around a lot in this book, it was so interesting to get a better look at Norta.

I also really liked getting to learn more about the people like Mare. It was so cool to see how diverse they all were and how much they could whip the Silvers into shape if they got together.

*sing-songs* I have a feeling there is something going on with Farley and I can't wait for the third book to see if it's true. *laughs maniacally*

I didn't really like Mare too much in this book. I felt like she was acting very vain and self absorbed most of the time thinking that this rebellion is all about her when so many other lives are at stake. So I appreciated it when Cameron was introduced and gave her a few reality checks. I understand it was to add to her character development and help her grow as a person, but she got a little annoying after saying the same thing for the whole book.

(*The next paragraph contains mild spoilers*)
Jon. I'm not going to say too much about him but at first he reminded me of the guy from Men in Black who could see the future and that made me laugh hysterically for a few minutes when I made that connection. Sadly I don't remember his name but in short he gives me life. Until the end of this book when I want to slap him silly.
(*Spoilers over.*)

I had a feeling it was going to end that way. I see it in practically every sequel in YA. I won't say what it is because I don't want to spoil anyone but ohmigosh -__-

Now I must mention this because it's something I am completely confused and undecided about and it freaks me out in a good way. There is so much allusion to romance in this book but it feels like every path and every guy leads to a dead end. I don't know who to trust, I don't know who I like or want to protect more. It's delightfully infuriating.

I really hope Mare fixes things with her family and Kilorn. I don't really know what to expect in the third book though, to be honest. I appreciate that going into the next book, I have no clue what to expect. With this one, it was like being thrown into a completely different world.

I will be continuing on with the series because I must say I'm intrigued. Even though tropes are layed on thick I still really enjoyed this one.

Cal and Kilorn must be protected at all costs.


Thanks for reading!
~Birdie

*Info on book taken from Goodreads.com*
*Image taken from Google.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts